Friday, December 6, 2013

Humerus, Femur and Scapula

Quick posting - Humerus and Femur and Scapula

I have finished preparing a second upper (proximal) limb bone. Back in the spring I prepared out what I considere to be a Humerus based on one wide end. I now have a second bone that is the same shape, only a little smaller. It also is a mirror image, so it probably came from the other side of the body. I think we have a Humerus (larger bone) and a matched Femur (smaller bone) from the same animal. Both bones have hollow ends, indicating they both came from a subadult animal. The simplest explanation is that we have fore and hind limb bones from one animal. The other explanations (a pathological specimen or bones from two individuals) are always possible but not probable. Here's the pictures (camera didn't focus too well):





I also have the first Scapula removed from the large block and being finished. The front side has all the matrix removed, and the back side has most of it removed. Since it is a very thin bone (about 2mm in places) it would break badly when removing the last of the backside matrix. So I've coated it with Latex and bedded it on a plaster backing. This will provide enough support to remove the remaining matrix. I should have it done next week or two. I used this same technique while preparing a coracoid and it worked really well. I promise to post pictures of the scapula, the humerus and the two coracoids together when they are all done so we have a size comparison. 

Merry Christmas one and all. 
Sincerely, Greg Carr

No comments:

Post a Comment