Tuesday, April 7, 2015

First full-sized print of Bernie's skull!

I have finally gotten confident enough that I attempted to print out a full-size skull. This includes both halves, something not seen for about 230 million years. It was really a marathon. It took a total of 76 hours, nonstop,  and used almost a full roll of PLA plastic. If I used ABS it would take the same amount. At times I had to apply superglue to the supports as it was building (still moving, dodging the moving extruder head) to keep the slender supports from wobbling and breaking off. I definitely need to have the model cut in half so that I can print it flat side down so it would be more stable and require less supports. So here's some pictures:

Several hours after printing started, you can see the 'raft' on the baseplate and the supports the slicing program adds to hold up overhangs.
 Here is one of the problems - the back of the skull has projections . In this build, these projections start out small and grow. However when they get about 1/2 inch (2cm) they want to flop over and break off. I had to manually intervene with superglus and glue them in place WHILE IT WAS STILL PRINTING! Pretty crazy, right?
 Still ongoing - after about 1 day.

 I don't know what happened to cause the large discontinuity across the print - perhaps the filament jammed?
 Here's a shot from the side after almost 2 days of printing.
 Here it is almost 3 days of printing. Still hanging in there.
 Here it is finished after 76 hours of printing - 3 days and 4 hours.
 Here is a top view before I removed it from the printer.

 And finally here I am holding up my trophy! Glass build plate still attached.What a monster - I'm glad I wasn't around then!

Sincerely, Greg Carr

No comments:

Post a Comment