Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Epic printing Jobs - Part 2

One block of fossil bones and shells I plan on leaving as a display piece, as it looks really cool and yet has no unique bones in it. I scanned it recently and intended to print it out. It is a big print - it takes slightly more than 1 full roll of filament, and takes about 5 full days to print! Things went fine for the first 4 days - about 102 hours or printing - then disaster (of sorts) We had a power blip, which reset the printer and the print stopped!

So I figured out roughly where the print stopped and made a small print of the remaining piece. Since I couldn't get it exact, I printed a little more at the interface and will have to physically trim the piece to fit. You may also notice that the print changes from Ivory to White. I thought I had another roll of Ivory when I started - opened the box and it was white! So I had to splice in white on the fly (always fun, but I've figured out how to do it.)

 I don't plan on doing another one.

 The printer has also developed a rather nasty Z-axis wobble. The Z-feed screw spontaneously developed a 0.010 inch (ten-thousandths) bend, and the linear guide bearings are poor enough that they don't keep it straight. I've re-bent the screw to be straight and ordered some new bearings. We'll see if that fixes it.

Sincerely, Greg Carr




 4 days and counting - almost done!

 The (almost) finished product.





No comments:

Post a Comment